Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Winter Nights

Winter Nights
(By Walter Beck)
Trudging through nights that grow longer
When it's too cold to go barefoot;
Slow-sludgy riffs of Steele's growl
"Paranoid".

Waiting
For letters that say something
Other than "thanks but no thanks";
A strange bunch,
As Eric the Skinhead called them.

Just one
To give me half a chance;
It's all part of the game

But times like this,
When all I think of is another drink
And of going home,
It gets harder and harder to play.

Another friend of mine
Got married,
And I only knew
Because he said so online.

He was one from the old days.
Is it right to call them old days?
It's only been four years
But it seems like a lifetime.

My old man said he was extremely worried about me;
I don't blame him,
Nights in a cheap apartment
With a whiskey eggnog,
Fiddling with a cheap box cutter,
Muddy Waters on the stereo.

The snobs sometimes sneer at me
With my cheap food, cheap smokes
And cheap wine;
But it's the only living I know.

One night
When I was reeling from too much
Eric the Skinhead said
This would all pay off one day
That he wanted to see me succeed;

It was enough to get up to face another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment