Sunday, November 6, 2011

"Dear Nicholas"-A "Passed Out Fully Clothed" exclusive

Author's Note: This poem, making it's debut here, is a written response to a poem written by Nicholas YB Wong called "Dear _____", his poem was an open letter. You can find it in Assaracus Issue 3 through Sibling Rivalry Press.

Dear Nicholas
(By Walter Beck)
I never set multiple alarm clocks;
I don’t even use one,
I just get up when I have to.
I have a “German sense of time”
As my ex would say.

I usually stretch my back
First thing in the morning.
Too many years of heavy lifting
As a roadie and quartermaster
Have fucked it up.

I wash my face first,
Rinsing the remains of the night before
Out of my eye sockets.
My toothpaste taste minty
(Never heard of marshmallow toothpaste,
It would probably remind me of work).

I’m a shower sort of guy
And I’m not one to sing,
I’m usually composing under the hot water,
A new poem,
A new rant
Or new story
To write when I get out.

My dog never pries about my nudity,
Don’t have a dog.
Truth be told, I probably wouldn’t have a dog,
I’ve been bitten one too many times
In my life.

My anus? I never checked on the color,
I’d imagine it’s a tired shade,
Like the remains of camp chow
Mixed with stale Wild Turkey.

My ex-lovers,
Some of them are known,
Some of them are anonymous,
I’ve never had enough
To really worry about it.

The toilet seat’s usually up
And I stand up to piss,
Unless I’m too drunk.
I never paid attention
To which way my toilet paper
Is put on the roll.

The toilet paper rolls,
They make me think of work,
Countless hours in my crusty uniform
Unclogging shitters
That are older than my brother;
My hands down the pipes,
Up to my elbows
Fishing out the cardboard roll
That some little snot-nose
Jammed down there.

I should recycle,
But it’s not part of the trash service
Here at the University Apartments
And I’m too poor to ask how much it is.

I never stole the laundry bag and slippers
From a hotel room,
I usually nick the “Do Not Disturb” sign
Or those little bottles
Out of the mini-fridge.

I don’t sleep naked when I’m alone,
I usually pass out in my t-shirt and jeans,
Maybe thinking if someone came along
I’d have something to tease them with;
Strutting in my room to the sounds of Bo Diddley’s
“Who Do You Love?”
Unzipping my dirty jeans
While give them the eye.

I rarely touch the Bible in the drawer,
I deal with religion enough as it is.
I think Christianity is too concerned with sex
For anyone,
Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual,
To really have any fun
With their bodies.
I think Christians are more helpless
Because too many of them can’t relax
And enjoy fucking.

Hard to say
Which words I always spell wrong
Because I always edit them;
I use a lot of slang, jargon and dialect
In my writing,
So maybe they’re spelled wrong
In the eyes of the computer.

My old man still has a typewriter.
I’ve thought about getting one,
Maybe even his,
That way maybe I can hear the strange music
The way Thompson did.

My old man still has a Polaroid,
He still used it
Until the film became too hard
To find.

The sexist sound?
I’m not sure such a thing
Even exists.

I don’t put my ears next to shells,
I live in the Midwest
With no ocean in sight.
I would love to hear words from another world
Or at least someone reading “Howl”.

I never smelt my mother’s bras
Or put them on my head
To play Superman,
Never had the feeling of being
Norman Bates.

Not lactose-intolerant;
Thank God
I love White Russians too much.

I’m positive that I’m HIV-negative,
The only other thing I’m positive about
Is when I write poetry
Full of inner malevolence
After too many brews down
At the local gay joint.

I can remember about a dozen
Of my friends’ phone numbers
And I only slept with a few of them;
They smelled like I did,
Cigarettes and booze
With a subtle hint of Outlaw.
They moaned like Joey Ramone sang
Or like Lemmy played bass.

I can recognize quite a few National flags
I’m not even sure why.
I rarely look in the mirror,
I’m not sure I’ll like what I see.
I write my “I” the same way most do
With a little dot above.

I prefer lasagna;
Mainly because of my brother
Because he was really into Garfield
When we were kids.
And I always use a toothpick.

Top or bottom?
Depends on who it is,
I like flexibility in my fucking.
I never screw without a condom,
I’ve been too pumped full of paranoia
Growing up.

My eyes are pale blue
Just like the Velvet Underground song.
I don’t highlight my hair
Just a natural brown.
Hairy? Well I have hair going halfway
Down to my ass
Due to not having a haircut
For the last ten years.
I never shave down there
But other than that
I’m not real hairy.

The highlight of my day
Is usually sitting at my desk
And scribbling out a new piece,
Or getting ready for a performance.
My day was long before I read this,
Having gone 24 hours without sleep.
Signs for what? I’m not into astrology,
Too hard-headed I suppose
To be superstitious.

I got a pile of books
Next to my bed;
Mainly Beat stuff,
Burroughs, Ginsberg, Ferlinghetti
Along with a copy of the Gonzo Papers Vol. 1.

I’m 6’1, lean and mean.
I don’t remember where I first made out,
Or how old I was,
Or how old he was,
I never had many lovers
And my love of whiskey
Makes the details hazy sometimes.

I’m circumcised, like most American guys,
I didn’t have a choice in the matter.
I’m a boxers sort of guy,
Simple knit plaid-style, size large.
Never had the money for silk
But maybe I will someday.

Never kept a diary;
I had my camp notebooks
Just because I didn’t have my computer out there.
Wasn’t really a diary
Just a composition book
Full of poems and drafts for stories.
I suppose I do write about you
Since I’m replying to your open letter.

And now that I’ve revealed so much to you
I do wonder how you look.

No comments:

Post a Comment