Sunday, January 1, 2012

Dear Preacher

Dear Preacher
(By Walter Beck)
Dedicated to GE”J”S

Dear preacher,
You have the gall
To question my honesty
In those words “On My Honor”;
You have the sack to tell me
That I should do the “honorable thing”
And leave.

Dear preacher,
Where is your fruit
From spitting hellfire and damnation?
Where are your fans and friends?
You’ve done a fine job;
They all learned how to judge and condemn
Just like you.

I’ve seen my harvest
From nine years in a staff uniform;

I’ve seen it in the bright eyes of the kids
Who recognize me on the street
Always excited to see me;

I’ve seen it in the loyal eyes
Of my brothers and sisters on staff,
A Family that you could never know;

And none of them give a damn
That I march under the Rainbow Banner.

Dear preacher,
You don’t know what it is
To soar on Eagle’s wings.

You have grown old and bitter
Drowning in your venom;
And I taught the kids how to rock n roll,
How to be free
And live as they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment